Monday 7 January 2013

How much??

So I got my motor insurance renewal notice this morning.  I was waiting for it.  I was dreading it.  I was happily surprised when I opened it.  I was quoted €803.35.  Not bad, considering my circumstances.

I'm driving about 12/13 years at this stage.  I have had my full licence since December 2002.  I have never had any penalty points, accidents or ever made a claim.  I have, however, a driving conviction.  In late November 2007, I was driving a friend home after a night out.  In fairness I hadn't drank all that much and was home by 12.30am.  I was stopped at a checkpoint and was arrested.  I was 2 mils over the limit.  6 months previously, I was considered to be under the limit.  It was about 11.40am, I had quite a lot of sleep that night, but hadn't had my breakfast yet... maybe that was the problem?  Maybe it wasn't.

Most would say I was unlucky, I would consider myself fortunate.  Things happen for a reason.  Whatever the reason was, it happened.  Maybe the reason was not me, but maybe it was for someone else.  A lot of my friends stopped getting into their cars so early the next day after being out.  Maybe that's why I was caught.  Maybe I was meant to be off the road for those 12 months, something could have happened to me?  Maybe it helped me finally move on in certain areas of my life.  Who knows?  I'm still here, I'm happy, that is what counts.

Anyway, I began this post to laugh about the variety of quotes I received this morning when I did a quick ring around to see if I could get something more competitive.  Would you consider €7149.75 more competitive? HA..... Seriously, I actually got that quote.  SEVEN THOUSAND EUROS?  My car is nearly 13 years old, has numerous scratches and a variety of squeaks and creeks in it... It is not even worth €7,000.  I didn't even pay €7,000 for it when I bought it.  Madness, utter madness.  Maybe they really, really did not want to insure me!!

Looks like I will be sticking with my current insurer anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment